Wednesday, April 15, 2009

China/Technology Failure

We got the camera working but now there is trouble with my laptop! We are a two-laptop family - three computers total if you count the desk version back in Maine - four if you count the one Silas gets to use at his school in Maine. Unfortunately, upon our return to Vietnam from China I find that I cannot log into my laptop - I get the log-in screen but when I enter my password the log-in box gives me a little shimmy and shake and refuses to advance further. I think it is rebelling against the ancient itunes list that I really have been meaning to update because I'm sick of those songs too!

Despite the pollution in Beijing and Xian, the Great Wall and Terra Cotta soldiers were amazing. China has centuries of history that we do not, and it seems as a result a history of story-telling has evolved. When you see these monuments to mankind, you don't just get the facts and figures of when it was built, how much material it took, and how many died doing it - there are stories connected to the construction and era of them. One of our guides also spoke of the "history problems" in China - Tibet for example has a "history problem" along with a few of the ancient dynasties and the perceived success/failure of the Cultural Revolution. I think we do the same thing with US history except we haven't evolved to the point of calling the discrepancies "history problems". We're still a young country and still in denial!

We wrapped up the trip with a visit to one of Hal's friends in Hong Kong. What a city! I would like to return some day. The skyscrapers rise from the mountains of volcanic rock that comprise the island. It is a clean. beautiful and vibrant place with an unbelievable public transportation system. We'll post pics and a bit more commentary when we get my laptop back tomorrow - turns out it is a keyboard failure.

No comments: